Tuesday 26 April 2011

A-Z #72: Elizabeth

You can pick up hundreds of DVDs for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. It's never about quantity, it's about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em



#72 - Elizabeth 

Why did I buy it?

I didn't. Sarah Did. The release of the sequel - Elizabeth: The Golden Age - was upon us and I think all the publicity and positive-press got to her. She bought it. We watched it. In fairness, I dig Cate Blanchett.

Why do I still own it?

Its not mine to sell, in the first instance, but I think you have some blistering performances. Interestingly, Joseph Fienne's appeared in this film and Shakespeare in Love, both of which were released in 1998 ...  I was hardly the middle-ages fan back in 1998, instead caring more about Deep Impact, A Bug's Life and Godzilla, but I would assume when people worry about actors being typecast, starring in Shakespeare in Love and Elizabeth in the same year is a risky move. Geoffrey Rush plays another royal role in the guise of Francis Walsingham. Interestingly, Rush was also in Shakespeare in Love with Joseph Fiennes. Sir John Gielgud, Christopher Eccleston and Richard Attenborough also starred in this film so you can see that, as someone interested in Drama, there is muchos acting talent to appreciate.
Large Association of Movie Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.