Monday 11 April 2011

A-Z #68: Duel

You can pick up hundreds of DVDs for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. It's never about quantity, it's about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em

#68 - Duel 

Why did I buy it?

This is where things get interesting. This isn't mine. This is Sarah's. (See, I told you that - outside of Bridget Jones and Dreamgirls the girl has increidble taste!). Sarah has some vivid memories of watching this and I has to always endure the shame of Sarah reacting appalled by the fact that I haven't seen Duel. It was only a matter of time before she purchased the film - and I was more than happy to sit down for a viewing.

Why do I still own it?

During my Spielberg-a-thon a while back this was inevitably the start. I got as far as 1941, and I made the first decision to sell 1941 as it was so ... unfunny. Especially considering it is a comedy. At any rate, Duel is classic Spielberg. You think of the simplicity of Jaws it traces back to Duel. It is an example of how a filmmaker, alone, is the guy who builds up the tension and the fear. In no other circumstance are you afraid of a truck ... except here. Even more interesting is the author of the story - Richard Matheson of I Am Legend. Again, I Am Legend is a simple set-up that, from the position of one man, the story expands to become more fearful and discomforting. A gripping story that forces you to root for the lead and imagine what you would do in such a situation.
Large Association of Movie Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.