Saturday 2 April 2011

A-Z #64: "Don't Look Now"

You can pick up hundreds of DVD's for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. Its never about quantity, its about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em



#64 - "Don't Look Now" 

Why did I buy it?

I had a conversation with Patrick, a fellow Art teacher, about incredible films and he noted this. I had only heard about it in passing - "one of the best horror films ever" is always touted around, but this film seems to be consistently highlighted as one of those very films. The seventies was rife with crazy-kids horror films - The Exorcist and The Omen amongst others. "Don't Look Now" was released in 1973 - the same year as The Exorcist - whilst The Omen, in 1976, quite categorically was inspired by both The Exorcist and Don't Look Now.

Why do I still own it?

Because I have only watched it once. And I am told it gets scarier and more interesting on multiple viewings. The film is all about confusion and obsession - and how small parts of the story are laid out at the start and are slowly brought together. Like broken pieces of glass, fragmented sections of memories, piecing itself together to make sense of the tragic start as a Mother and Father lose their young child. I intend to watch it again to truly understand the film.

Maybe one viewing should suffice, and I should sell it and accept that I 'didn't' get it.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

2 comments:

  1. I really liked it, which is odd considering how long it kept me up that night. I'd keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It didn't keep me up - I think, to some extent, I didn't "get it" but since I've read alot of things about it, I get it ... but now I need to rewatch it!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.